So what appears to be an innocent post about my basketball shoes turn out to be a great sentimental moment. I've been playing basketball for year with a pair of shoes. The shoes laces on the shoe have pretty much torn off but I keep tying knots on the laces to keep them in place. It came to a point where one of the ball player's wife, Nikki, can't stand looking at my shoe laces and decided that they bought me a pair of new shoe laces, which is green!
I posted the sentiment on Facebook showing off my new laces. Well one of my former young men youth, Alvin Ye, saw the post and decided to do something even more extra ordinary. He decided to donate his own pair of shoes that he barely worn, another pair of shoes that were almost new too, and the most sentimental valued gift was the card in the package. Of all the youth that I've taught over the years and many of them have since gone to college and some even have their own families. I know they all appreciated all the fun we had together, but not of them took time out of their busy to just want to thank me. I don't expect anyone to do that but this little gesture has a really nice meaning and a lot of sentimental value. He even took the time to write in all caps, using a rule to make sure his whole letter was leveled and neat and tidy. Below is what he hand wrote in all caps.
Da,
I want to first
congratulate you on getting accepted to a master’s degree/education at (from
what I can tell on your Facebook picture) University of Maryland! Welcome to
being a kid again hopefully. It’s awesome that your company is willing to pay
for it and that you are taking the next step forward in your career. I know
that you’ve worked really hard and heave been doing your best for your family!
In the box you will
find 2 pairs of shoes, one pair of basketball shoes and a pair of running
shoes. Both are size 9 so you might need thicker socks if you wear a size 8.
Da, I am glad you posted that picture of your shoe, that was an opportunity for
me to show you in my return for all the things you did for us as kids.
I can
only at the moment provided shoes yet I hope to pass on your leadership and
caring love to more youth that I lead one day! You were so patient and caring
to me and I was younger whether it was playing basketball, picking me up, seminary,
cookouts, camping, service, or a number of things. You were always so selfless
and that is one of your best traits. Those cookouts for everyone when we
returned from college were probably some of my most fondest memories next to camping
out at the Foulger Farm.
Thank you again for
everything you did for me when I was young. It truly meant a lot and helped
shaped me into who I am today. Enjoy both pairs of shoes and promise me that
you'll school some youngins! Best of luck in school! Your family is extremely
lucky that they have you. I know I was.
Sincerely,
Alvin