Posted by Da | Wednesday, January 05, 2022 | 0 comments

SS is learning to make money from the first snowfall of the season. He doesn't know how to clean snow off cars properly so dad gave him a quick lesson so he won't scratch the cars' paint. Armed with just a car brush and scraper we walked around the neighborhood and SS was fearless ringing doorbells and selling this pitch. First entrepreneur experience.
Very proud of him.

"

So today was the first serious snow day since last winter, and I was pretty bored at home, especially after our 11 day quarantine. CC went out in the morning to help an elderly couple across the street to clear their walkway and back driveway, and got a whopping $60 for it. I was quite jealous. Since school was canceled, I saw an opportunity to go shovel snow to try to earn some money for my scout trip in the summer. It costs a grand total of $2300-- yes, $2.3K per person to go down to the High Adventure Sea Base Trip in Florida. This 9 day venture takes you out to sea, showing you how to sail, go sea fishing, scuba diving, and even camping on islands. All the reason to start saving now.

Anyways, I wanted to go shovel snow in the neighborhood to make some money, but as it ended up, there was no more snow on the roads or sidewalks, since the HOA had already come around and done practically all of the work. However, I noticed that people's cars were still covered in snow, and snow needs to be removed before you drive. Seeing this opportunity, dad and I went out to find our clients. The first house I knocked on had no luck. Second and third, still no bite. I wasn't ready to stop here though. As dad said, starting something was never easy. Of course, things changed, and we eventually got customers. Surprisingly, I'd say 1 person out of 2-3 people agreed to let us remove the snow from their car. (Of course, I made sure that my service was applicable to the customers which I asked. What would be the point in asking someone who already had had their car cleaned?)

After around 2 hours of this, we had gone down one side of our neighborhood and cleared the snow off of 8-10 cars out of around 15 houses. The total profit? $140. $140 in 2 hours, meaning $70 per hour! This was a great turnout especially after the disappointment regarding snow shoveling. (In regards to rates, I just asked for whatever people would be willing to pay.)

In addition, I got to meet amazing new people. For example, a lady who we serviced was a retired Girl Scout leader! She was ecstatic to see me trying to raise money for my trip, and even explained how she had needed someone to clean her car for her --"an answer to [her] prayers." She gave me $20 for cleaning, and an extra $20 for my trip! In addition, Tenin's mom (a family friend) was so happy to see me raising money. So happy, in fact, that she gave me $50! For a SINGLE CAR! This was my first taste of enterprising and I am thrilled to try it again in the near future. I learned a lot about how to sell my service to others, such as how you pitch your reason for the money before your service, so they see why you are working. I hope to try to find other ways to raise money and am really grateful for this opportunity!!

"






Leave a Reply