Posted by Da | Sunday, June 05, 2022 | 0 comments

It was such a privilege to be able to volunteer at the Washington DC Temple open house. The temple was closed for renovation for three years and finally opened again in April, 2022 for the open house. The temple was first build in 1974 and it was closed to nearly 40 years and this is the only opportunities for many to visit before dedication during their life time. 


The first couple weeks were VIP tours for invited guests only. Many volunteers were excited to meet apostles and general authorities that came to visit. Many famous judges, political leaders and community leaders came these couple weeks. Since I was not into any news and politics, I didn't get the excitement most of the volunteers had. However, I did accompany few tours with general authorities even though I did not recognize their names, I did feel the peace and comfort when they gave the tours. 

One particular moment was when Elder Cook introducing the temple to a group of guest from Senate office and after he finished, his wife wanted to add a comment. He turned to the guest and said, "if I ever learned from my many years of marriage. It is that I always listen to what my wife has to say because she is wise." Listening to this from one of our apostle just put a smile on my face.

After the two weeks, the temple is opened to public to have walk though tour. Because of the limited volunteers and number of guest, there was no tours given. However, I am grateful that I was able to accompany a few groups of seniors from senior centers to walk through the temple and answered the questions that they had. Sister Helen He and Sister Sara Huang were wonderful sisters that organized these tours. 

At the last couple weeks of the open house, two stakes from New York also organized tour for the members and the youth to visit the temple. It was wonderful to see some old friends that we met in Brooklyn nearly twenty years ago. It is definitely the best place to meet together. 

This open house let us to have opportunities to invite our family and friends to attend. I invited our neighbors, co-workers to go. It surely strengthen my testimonies of the gospel. Pray that this will plant some seeds to the people that visit to later have the desire to learn more about the Gospel, the plan of happiness. 

Leave a Reply