Posted by Da | Monday, June 22, 2026 | 0 comments

This week was the Dragon Boat festival in Hong Kong, so a lot of people were off on Friday through the weekend. It was really nice because there were a lot of families out, and the city seemed a lot livelier. Furthering the tradition here we were able to meet with some of our sisters in the Relief Society, 陳,吳,and 曾姊妹 who helped us make 粽子,the traditional pyramid-shaped sort of dumplings that are made of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves.

This event was made sweeter when we were able to find one of our youth YSA to attend with us (so that we had a brother there) who was generally not as active in the ward, and got to talk and really get to know him as we learned together. Although we didn't explicitly share a spiritual thought, it was one of the best experiences I have had to connect with a member whom I had tried for weeks to get closer to. "For the Lord [has] chosen [us] out of all thy tribes, to stand to minister in the name of the Lord, him and his sons for ever" (Deut. 18:5).

In addition to this instance, we had a lot of times to visit other members, and not just in our ward. This week I was privileged to get to witness a special fruit of this work, which actually began sometime last week when Elder Hein, our office Financial Secretary senior missionary asked if I recognized a "Daisy Wong" from Tai Po. I didn't immediately recognize the name, until Thursday, when Elder Hein received this lady at the office, I realized that it was Sister Yiu, who had cooked Sunday lunch for me and all the missionaries who served and currently serve in Tai Po. Her maiden name had been Wong. And the reason why Elder Hein had asked about her, is because he was one of the primary missionaries who taught and helped baptize her over 40 years ago.

That night Sister Yiu invited us along with the other elders in the office to their dinner, and it was amazing to hear Sister Yiu's story of how it was not her that the missionaries initially met but her father. Although her father at that time had no interest, Sister Yiu knew it was true, and has changed the lives of countless members and missionaries whom have served in her ward.

Mormon 5:14 reads, "And behold, they shall go unto the unbelieving of the Jews... that they may be persuaded that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God; that the Father may bring about, through his most Beloved, his great and eternal purpose, in restoring... all the house of Israel, to the land of their inheritance... unto the fulfilling of his covenant."

Being in the mission has been a blessed place, as if we are in the front seats, watching the work of God's plan come together.

As a recap of the week, apart from these bright moments we have also been absolutely stuck in the office this week, which I hope to change this upcoming one. God has had his part, providing several passoff lessons from other areas. It has not helped that we have had several "black rain" alerts raised, which meant severe enough rain for all of the missionaries to return home. In a little bit of an exciting news we are finalizing the contract for a new apartment on the Island, which will house the now Fortress Hill sisters.

Lastly I want to wish everyone a good Father's Day. I have nothing but so so much love and gratitude for what Dad has done for me, and I hope you all can take a moment and do the same. It has been humbling to realize how much he has given to the Lord in faith, and I am grateful for him and all of these other faithful examples that serve in this mortal journey. He has taught me so much more than what I could ever learn from any textbook, and I hope to do the same in the future. 愛你爸爸 :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkaoEe965etiYQuj7


Love you Dad,
Elder Zhao



Leave a Reply