Work was work, not much excitement. The usual drive home was the same with the Washington area traffic. However today was a bit more exciting. I am driving home from the main street and I hear all these sirens going off and police cars flying ahead of me towards the direction of where I live.
All memories come back from what happened three years ago. I was driving home and the road was blocked. There were sirens and fire trucks everywhere. Smoke was coming in the direction of where I lived. My heart sanked wondering what is going on. I parked on the street and ran towards home not knowing what is going on. Firemen and people were surrounding the area near my house. We live in a cul-de-sac (a end of the street circle) townhouse in a small neighborhood. As I got closer towards home I couldn't get close in the area of my, my heart was pounding and scared not knowing what is going on. I pushed through and started to ask people around what is going on. Apparently there were kids playing in the back of their house with fire and burned down their house and the parents were not home. Our house was only eight houses down from where the house burned down. What a relief.
Back to today. I am driving home and police sirens blaring towards the direction I am heading. Not really thinking much, I finally made it home. No fire trucks, no police cars, and no crowd. It seems normal to me until I parked the car. First thing I noticed that wasn't normal was that all the windows were open; normally if the weather is warmer than 75 degrees, Abbey would have all the windows closed and the AC on. The trash can is thrown in front of the house and the most intriguing thing: a deeply darkened pan is in the walk way in front of the house with some type of liquid spilled all around this pan. I cautiously walked into the house and can smell something burnt. Abbey was feeding Clayton while Brennan ran to up to me. What happened?
Abbey tells me she almost burn down the house. Apparently she was trying to make some sweet and sour pork to bring to my dad's house for dinner. The first part to making the dish requires that you deep fried the marinated pork. She used a sauce pan and a about 1/3 inch oil. Our new 'used' stove top cranks out very hot heat and very fast, by the time Abbey knew what happened the pan had a 3 foot fire burning. She acted fast. (She acted not too fast.....standing there and thinking what to do) Knowing that water will not work and covering the top with glass cover will not work (from previous experience),( She first took that from the burner) and she grabbed a metal cover and put it over the pan. ( That works for awhile and then She took that cover away thinking that's the end of it. But the fire came right back once the oxygen was back, then she stands there for another 5 sec. Thinking need to get this out of the house. ) then open the door and the storm screen (first, then holding this flaming pan with 2 feets of fire out of the house and tose it on the cememt *was going to put it on the dirt, but then think about it will burn the dry wood) to toss out the burning pan. (When she was opening the door without the pan, she saw the cop) There she saw a cop, just doing his routine patrol, she yelled for help but the policeman did not acknowledge. She quickly ran back to the burning pan, carefully took it and threw it in front of the house. The sound of the pan hitting the pavement and the burning oil got the policeman's attention. He spun his patrol car around and stopped by the house to see what is going on. Everything was under control after that.
Abbey was shaken but thanks to her quick thinking and action, no one was hurt in the family and the house was saved. All the while the kids were sleeping. If Abbey didn't act properly, things would have been a lot worse. I am so blessed to know that Abbey, through her quick actions, knew how to handle such dangerous situations to save the family. Another reason I love her and appreciate all that she does for the family. (From now on, I (Abbey) will never leave the stove unattended)
Abbey tells me she almost burn down the house. Apparently she was trying to make some sweet and sour pork to bring to my dad's house for dinner. The first part to making the dish requires that you deep fried the marinated pork. She used a sauce pan and a about 1/3 inch oil. Our new 'used' stove top cranks out very hot heat and very fast, by the time Abbey knew what happened the pan had a 3 foot fire burning. She acted fast. (She acted not too fast.....standing there and thinking what to do) Knowing that water will not work and covering the top with glass cover will not work (from previous experience),( She first took that from the burner) and she grabbed a metal cover and put it over the pan. ( That works for awhile and then She took that cover away thinking that's the end of it. But the fire came right back once the oxygen was back, then she stands there for another 5 sec. Thinking need to get this out of the house. ) then open the door and the storm screen (first, then holding this flaming pan with 2 feets of fire out of the house and tose it on the cememt *was going to put it on the dirt, but then think about it will burn the dry wood) to toss out the burning pan. (When she was opening the door without the pan, she saw the cop) There she saw a cop, just doing his routine patrol, she yelled for help but the policeman did not acknowledge. She quickly ran back to the burning pan, carefully took it and threw it in front of the house. The sound of the pan hitting the pavement and the burning oil got the policeman's attention. He spun his patrol car around and stopped by the house to see what is going on. Everything was under control after that.
Abbey was shaken but thanks to her quick thinking and action, no one was hurt in the family and the house was saved. All the while the kids were sleeping. If Abbey didn't act properly, things would have been a lot worse. I am so blessed to know that Abbey, through her quick actions, knew how to handle such dangerous situations to save the family. Another reason I love her and appreciate all that she does for the family. (From now on, I (Abbey) will never leave the stove unattended)
(Late at nite last nite, I would not sleep so I went online and checked what I suppose to do if this happen. I was lucky because I got the pan out of the hosue without burning myself. Most websites do not recommend you move the pan because of the hot and flame. First you use lid or Baking power. If they don't work, then you get away from your house and call 911. So just remember, don't ever put water on a grease fire.)
Yikes!! That's too scary! I am so glad Abbey is a fast thinker and covered the fire. Glad everyone is ok!
oh, my god. It is really scary. that is why we (the wives) should not cook any more.
Yikes! Glad everybody's OK and it was nothing more than just a scary moment!