The last couple weeks have been rough. The boys maybe working in unison to torture their parents; and it has been working. Abbey is barely able to get up each morning as Da seems to be having a very difficult time getting up and to work on time.
Lately Brennan refuses to go to sleep early. He keeps saying that he can't sleep. We tried many things such as not giving him sweets, drinks/milk, or food at least an hour and a half before he goes to sleep. We try to get him to sleep or go to bed early. We read him more stories than usual and Da even tells him stories; no success. When we close Brennan's room door, he waits and waits then comes to our room and say he can't sleep because there the 'dream people' and 'birds' that are in his dreams causing him not to be able to sleep. He asks papa to say a prayer with him to ask these 'things' to go back to their homes so everyone can sleep. So it takes about an hour after we put him to bed before he actually sleeps.
Then just a few hours later around 12:00/1:00AM Mr.Clayton decides to show himself. His situation is a bit more serious. Lately, well the last six months, he's been teething and I tell you he's nearly 18 months and he barely have eight teeth. Well we can see on one of his gum area for his molar tooth is very red and very swollen. Since most of the growing occurs at night that only means we are constantly kept informed of his pain every couple hours.
So with all this said and done, Da is loosing more hair Abbey is getting more wrinkles. Welcome to parenthood. Lovely, especially during these cold winter months where neither Da nor Abbey want to get out of the warm comfy blankets to care for the kids. But I guess we wouldn't have it any other way than to get up in the middle of the cold night and love our kids. Da much rather the kids cause her wrinkles than him.
Books I read in 2025 (with ratings)
8 months ago
Is it normal to have that much pain when teething? Maybe we're just lucky and that didn't happen to us, but it seems weird to me. Maybe you should get a dentist to look at it?
Da, Are you trying to scare us away from every having kids? It's working.
Yeah, those darn molars!! Preston had a really hard time with them too. Thank goodness for Tylenol.
And as for the not wanting to sleep -- ??? Who knows! Ugh. I feel your pain though. Preston won't go to bed anytime before 10pm. I have tried everything but that's just how his little body operates. I never get anything done in the evenings! :) Maybe once it warms up and they can go outside and burn energy they will be more tired.
Alvin has similar problems as both of Brennan and Clayton so you are not alone. He used to sleep at 8:30pm but now he refused to sleep unless we accompany him on the rocking chair next to the crib. The battle can sometimes last to 10:30pm. He also wakes up at night and crying but if we just whisper to him that everything is OK and he can go back to sleep right away. I think he is either having a bad dream or teething. Who knows?
I think i can see Da's bald spot.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Kaitlyn wakes up like 5 or more times a night too. I am so sleep deprived. Even when she has a great night (like maybe waking up once or twice only) I still end up waking up and having a hard time going back to sleep. She's been sick for the past week as well, so it's hard to tell if it's because she's uncomfortable from her sickness or from teething or maybe even BOTH! She just started growing her 4th tooth and she's turning 1 on Sunday. So I guess every kid is different in terms of when they start growing teeth? Some kids at her age already have 8. Boggles my mind. I guess I'm really not looking forward to her growing the next 8 of them. With Brennan, that sounds typical of a kid. We always see that happening on TV. So I guess I'm not looking forward to Kaitlyn being that age either! haha.
by the way, do you guys use Orajel on Clayton and how does it work?
There is a Baby Orajel that you just put some on your fingers and rub it on their gums. It only numbs the gum for about an hour while their teeth continues to throb for a longer period of time, so you might want to give them Infant Tylenol to sleep throughout the night but first talk with you Pediatrician.
poor little dude! has(have) the molar(s) cut through yet? i am a little late in commenting, but i hope that he is feeling better. abbey if i were there i'd totally give you a few hours of rest with some baby-sitting. i know it's joyful and fun to be a parent, but getting a break sometimes is also nice occasionally.
This totally sounds like our family! Last week was the worst. Both of us parents were sick and it was SOOOO hard for us to get out of bed in the morning with our early risers.
Johnny just barely popped his first tooth. His gums have been terrible- he had this purple blister that finally popped today. Teething is no fun!